Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2016

Turkey Bundles

It has been four days since Thanksgiving and I have consumed a Thanksgiving burrito every day. (I am not ashamed, just stating fact.)  It is time to do something with the leftover turkey that does not involve wrapping it in a tortilla.  It is time to make the old family favorite, Turkey Bundles. 
Old Family Favorite 

Turkey Bundles or sometimes Chicken Bundles is one of the staples of my childhood. It was probably one of the first recipes I ever learned and it is one of those recipes that I could probably make blind folded with a spork if my survival depended on it. It is one of those recipes that my mother would trot out for company, because it was easy to make yet unique.   I am not sure where the original recipe came from, and I know that I have seen several variations in Taste of Home, but this is my recipe that I use.  It has been slightly modified to the current household tastes and if you check back with me in ten years, I am sure that there will be even more changes. 

Turkey Bundles
2 Cups- Cooked chunked Turkey
1 ½ Cream Cheese of 8oz Package (total of 12 ounces) Room Temperature
Handful of rough chopped spinach (about 1/3 cup)
½ Cup Mushrooms (They are optional. My husband hates mushrooms, but I love them.)
¼ diced hot peppers or green chili peppers
¼ cup shredded carrots
Salt and pepper
¼ diced onions
1 tablespoon diced garlic
2 tubes of Instant crescent rolls
Bread crumbs
Melted butter or olive oil

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a small sauté pan, cook the carrots, onions, peppers and garlic in a little bit of oil or butter until soft. Once soft, remove from heat and set aside. In a large bowl mix turkey, cream cheese, mushrooms, and spinach until well blended, then add the cooked carrot mix.  I do the cooked part second because it can make the cream cheese a little melty and hard to handle.  Add salt and pepper to taste. (If you are my husband, this is where you add a dollop of hot sauce.) 

Open the tube of crescent rolls and break them apart.  They should be little triangles. You will want to stretch the triangles a little bit and until it is almost double its size.  Take two heaping tablespoons of the turkey and cream cheese mix and put it in the center of the triangle. Use the corners of the triangle to wrap it. It should look like a bundle or a diaper.  Normally this recipe is going to make about a dozen bundles depending on how much your fill the bundle.  When all the bundles are assembled, brush the top with olive oil or butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.   The bundles get baked on a cookie sheet for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment