Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Alien World Within

I like caves.  I know that is sort of a bland thing to say.  Sort of like I like turtles. Not something that is easy to expand upon, but more of a statement of fact. I like caves. I like caves because it is like going to another world.

I recently visited Skyline Caverns. It was not what I was expecting.  I have been to more than one cave in my short life, but none of them can hold a candle to the tour at Skylines Caverns.  Most I go to have one or two caverns that we visit and then it is done.  

The tour at Skyline was an hour of walking with multiple caverns and several underground lakes to see. The tour guide (Steven) was enthusiastic about the tour without feeling phoned in.  Steven was full of interesting facts and had a good grasp on the history of the cave and made the information that he was imparting interesting.  A couple times during the tour, the lights would go completely out (on purpose) and it really helped with gaining a better perspective on what we were seeing.

If given the opportunity to do the tour again, I would.  I feel like there is always something more to see and that it is the closest that I will ever get to visiting another planet.  If you clear your mind and get rid of any pre conceived notions, it is totally plausible to see the inside of a cave as an alien terrain. It was totally worth it to visit Skyline Caverns and visit a world away from the top soil.



No comments:

Post a Comment