Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2016

Ramen For Dinner

I am thinking about deleting my Pinterest boards and starting over again. I know that this sounds crazy, because Pinterest is just a fancy way to collect ideas and store them.   I think half the fun of Pinterest is finding the new idea or trying the new recipe, but then I think about how I have almost 9K pins and I don't think I have actually used 1% of them.  Why should I look for more idea's if I am not using the idea's I already have pinned?  First world problems, I know. I am still on the fence as to if I should or shouldn't.

One of the things that I do like about Pinterest is that I can look at several recipes or ideas and then combine it together into something that I want. A perfect example of this is my ramen recipe.  I took the elements from  a Simple Sesame Noodles Recipe by The Pioneer Woman and bastardizing some elements from Half Baked Harvest's Crockpot Crispy Caramelized  Pork Ramen Noodle Soup w/Curry Roasted Acorn Squash  to come up with an easy ramen soup recipe that takes maybe 20 minutes to make and is now my go to recipe when I have no idea what I am making for dinner.
If all else fails for dinner, soup is always the answer.

I normally would try and have a picture of what ever I am talking about, but I can never seem to remember to take a picture before I have already started to devour it.  Instead here is a picture of the Dib Cat.  The internet needs more pictures of cats.


 My Ramen Recipe

1/2 C Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
1/2 C Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp Chili Oil
2 Tsp Sesame Oil
2 Tbs RiceVinegar
1 Tbs Red Chili Sauce
1 Tbs Korean Hot Sauce or Rooster Sauce
1/2 Tsp Powdered Ginger
1/4 Tsp Fish Sauce
1 Tbs Minced Garlic

Mix all these things together and set to the side.  The oils may separate, that is okay, you can stir it back together.


In a Wok or frying pan on medium heat cook:
1/4 C Diced Onions
1/4 C Shredded or Diced Carrots
Hand full of shredded Cabbage
1 medium to small cubed pork chop
Splash of Soy sauce and oil to keep things from sticking
(You can add mushrooms, but my husband hates mushrooms, so I don't)

When this is done set it to the side. Cook your noodles. (I use Soba, but I am sure you can use other types. Noodles are just a vehicle to get soup from one place to another.)   Keep the water.  Divide noodles out into bowls. Add your meat and cooked veggies on to each pile of noodles.  Pour your sauce over your bowls of noodles.  Add some of the retained water to make it more soup like.

This is where I top each bowl with a fried egg and sprinkle it with sesame seed and some times spring onions if I have them.  I know it seems like a lot of steps, but really it is just throwing a bunch of stuff in bottles together to make the sauce and tossing it with what ever veggies I have on hand with noodles.  The fried egg is because ramen is always better with a fried egg on it,  much like hamburgers.   Enjoy!

2 comments: