Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Reds and Blues

They says at Thanksgiving Eve is the biggest drinking night of the year. Mostly because old friends and relatives are in from out of town, and you can get in some socializing before the turkey coma hits. I don't think you could pay me to enter into a bar tonight. I am not sure which version of me would leave the bar.

It is a weird day. Maybe part of it is the anticipation of a major eating holiday and hanging out with family I love, and the other part is because it is my brothers birthday. He would have been 33 if he wasn't such an idiot. I can already hear Gat chastising me inside my head, saying I shouldn't speak ill of the dead.  History is written by the survivors and is hardly ever pretty.

The dueling emotions along with the other flotsam and jetsam in my head, leaves me feeling like a Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Holly Golightly: You know those days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds, you mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?

For the longest time I thought they had said "the greens and reds" not "the mean reds". I think it still works, it just makes me wonder what the green would be in terms of feelings.  It might be today.  It might be a little bit of yellow and a little bit of blue with a red undertone.  I don't know. I just think I understand why it is a drinking holiday tonight, and I am sure that people have their own reason for raising a glass.  Sometimes conjuring up ghosts is about remember the good times.  Me,  I am going to enjoy my cup of tea and watch more Adventure Time.  Reds and greens be dammed.

No comments:

Post a Comment