Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Oyster War

I took an unintentional hiatus from reading comics.  It is easy to get caught up doing a whole bunch of nothing, and because of that my to-be-read bed side reading pile is looking neglected and structurally unsound.  If I a certain kitty that I know decided to step on it, the whole wobbly structure could collapse and smother me in stack of frozen screams or at the very least I would end up with a could of nasty paper cuts.

In an attempt to make some head way, I pulled out the beautiful hard back edition of Oyster War by Ben Towle that my husband had acquired for me.  I adore this book.  The story is full of whimsy, merriment and makes me want to learn a sea shanty or two.  There are jokes, misquotes and folklore that could entertain people of all ages, and if you are looking for a story with a moral, there is a fun environmental message mixed in.

On top of the story being a tasty morsel, the art style is like the perfect dash of lemon juice on fresh sea food. Refreshing with a little bit of a twist and makes everything flow together seamlessly.  Once I finished Oyster War, it made me want to reread The Cursed Pirate Girl by Jeremy Bastain, just so that I could continue tooling around with pirates. I would recommend this book to anyone that is looking for an enjoyable tall tale about pirates that flirtation with superstition.

No comments:

Post a Comment