Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Beet It!

I am not sure that Pinterest experiments are supposed to look like you dismembered someone, but I could be wrong.  There is no way to parboil beets without it looking like something out of a horror movie. Add a little cornstarch and you have an okay fake blood that stains just like real blood.  
(Welcome to the magic of beets!)

Beets are one of those vegetables that are under-rated. They are like the funky cousin of the potato. Except I have never had a pickled potato, and would be a little wary on trying it. On the other hand I have devoured my fair share of pickled beets.  In case you didn't know, I like beets.  I really like them on my salad, which is where my earlier comment on parboiled beets comes in.  While my father was out visiting, we  (I helped from the next room and offered lots of encouragement) made a couple of jars of shelf stable pickled beets. 

I have no idea how well the beets turned out.  We made three jars and they all made that beautiful popping noise that indicated they sealed, but we didn't actually taste any of them. The recipe we used from Pinterest gave us free rain for creativity and I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I love Jake & Amos Baby Fire Beets, and we decided to add red pepper flakes to the recipe.  It is unknown as to if this was a good idea, and I am not sure I have any friends that want to be guinea pig test subjects.  Thankfully we are going into winter weather, and the probability of being snowed into the house at least once is high, which will force me to try them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment