Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2021

Coaster Turned Cat Toy



 My cats aren’t spoiled. 

You can stop laughing now.  I know my cats are spoiled. It can’t be helped.  I am pretty sure it is in my genetic makeup to spoil cats. 


You might ask why I brought up my cats being spoiled.  It is because I am going to tell you about turning a coaster into a cat toy. Or a perhaps this a just another tale of craft adaptability to prevent a Pinterest fail. 


On Pinterest I found the idea for really cute cat coasters made out of extra fabric and quilt batting.  (Website for pattern is www.sewverycrafty.com) While we have nice coasters in our living room, I thought the cat coasters would be nice for the upstairs. The weather is getting warmer and cold drinks tend to sweat. I would like to have cold drinks in the sewing room with out worrying about messing up the wood.


The instructions for this pattern are easy to follow. They even provide a template for the coasters.  I did not download the template. I thought that I would be brilliant and eyeball it. After all it is just a cat head shape.  This is were it could almost be considered a fail. 

My recommend is to download the template. While I don’t think mine turned out terrible. I do think that the end product was supposed to be bigger.  Due to the size of my cat coaster, (or would it be called a kitten coaster?) I thought it would make the perfect cat toy for my feline friends. 


Instead of sewing the coaster shut, I shoved it full of catnip. And then when I thought I couldn’t get any more catnip in it, I used a chopstick to makes sure there was catnip in the ears and compress the catnip in the toy. I then sewed the side shut. 


While Dib was interested while I was making the toy, once it was complete he wandered off to cause chaos in other areas of the house.  I presented the toy to Nami to see if she had any interest.  While she didn’t attack me, she didn’t really want to get up from her nap either.  Iggins is the one that had the most interest, and that might be due to him being the most awake during prime time nap time. It may also be due to him thinking that anything orange belongs to him, since he is orange. It really is hard to tell.


Long story short, is I would recommend using this pattern to make cute cat toys, but adding a step of filling it with cat nip. It is a cute toy and is easily customizable based on your fabric pattern choices. 



No comments:

Post a Comment