Search This Blog

Monday, November 6, 2017

Broccoli Salad

Gardening and Broccoli Salad make up Summer. 
One of my favorite foods is broccoli salad. I know that sounds weird, but there is something about the crunch, the tang and the savory all mixed together that I absolutely love.  Nothing makes me think of summer and good times like eating a bowl of broccoli salad.

Recently I was talking with my niece, Hailey and she was trying to put her preferred preferences at the top of the menu for the next time she came to visit.  I am a planner, but seeing as that I don't have solidified dates for her next visit, this felt a little presumptuous.  It is kind of like calling shotgun for the ten car rides in the future. It is just a little far to plan in advance. However I was curious as to what was on her preferred menu. No surprise, she wanted ham loaf and avocado chocolate mousse. The thing that did surprise me, was the request for broccoli salad.  I thought kids weren't supposed to like broccoli. I feel like this is a further case that she is really my clone. 

Since I do not have a set date for her next visit, but I do not want to deny her the joys of broccoli salad, I decided to share my recipe for my favorite addiction. My friend, Lizzy had originally given me the recipe (which I am forever grateful), and I have made a few small tweaks based off of my preferences.

Broccoli Salad-

  1. 1 Head of Broccoli cut into small florets
  2. 1 Head of Cauliflower cut into small florets
  3. 1/2 Red Onion diced
  4. 1 Cup diced cooked bacon- (I have cheated and bought Real Bacon Crumbs and they taste fine.)
  5. 1 Cup Shredded Cheese-(I like Cheddar, but mixed cheeses works also.)
  6. 1/2 Cup Dried Cherries
  7. 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
  8. 1 Cup Mayonnaise (Don't use Miracle Whip- The flavor is off.)
  9. 1/2 Cup White Sugar
  10. 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar

Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl or a gallon sized bag. I prefer to do a gallon sized bag, because it normally I am taking it with me somewhere.  In a small bowl, mix the last three ingredients until smooth.  Mix the sauce into bowl or bag.  If you are in a bowl, stir well to make sure everything is evenly glazed.  If you put it in a bag, seal the bag (double check that it really did seal) and then pretend it is Shake N Bake and shake it all around.  When you think you are done, shake it some more. Everything should be covered in the glaze.  Put the broccoli salad in the fridge and let it chill for two hours.  Once it is chilled, chow down.

Side note for Hailey- Your does not have the cheese in it for obvious reasons. Double check your mayo and make sure there isn't any dairy in the ingredients. Other then those two items, this is that salad you had last summer.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment