Search This Blog

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Kickstarted Addiction

I think that I might have a Kickstarter addiction.  I don’t know if it is because I love all the fresh ideas that people are brave enough to put out there and seek funding for, or if it is because I enjoy the shiny new toy aspect of it. I think that it is probably a healthy dose of both.   Kickstarter is an all or nothing venture. They either raise enough money for their project or they don’t. If the project doesn’t raise enough money, you as a backer are not out any money, but it they do raise enough money, then you pay up.
Unflattering picture of  Krampus I kickstarted
Can you see where I might have a problem?  It is really easy for me to toss a couple of bucks on a Kickstarter that helps fuel some ones dreams and passions and get something unique in the process, than it is to get an overpriced mediocre latte. The latte I will most likely forget about before the day is over, unlike whatever Kickstarter project I have backed.  I will talk about the project, follow the updates and sometimes even dance around the kitchen scaring the cats when something I am super into gets funded.  I like to think that I am helping someone achieve a dream and as a benefit get something cool in the process.
That is not saying that everything that I support gets funded, or if it does get funded, follows through.  I have supported a few things that did not yield the intended result, but it has not made me jaded.  It has just given me a story to tell and a mystery to savor.  Perfect example of this is where I supported an expedition for salt and nuts in Brazil, and for my support I would receive some salt and some salted nuts. It wasn’t a lot of money, and I thought that my husband would enjoy munching on an exotic nut, and the salt was seasoning bonus. Originally I had planned on using the nuts and salt as stocking stuffers for the Christmas holiday, but things had gotten delayed.  I had received some updates from time to time how the expedition was going and some video feed on salt mining, and then there was silence. It went from regular updates and video to nothing.   The jungles of Brazil swallowed up the founder that Kickstarter and it is unknown if I will ever get the salt and salted nuts that I chipped in for.  I had chatted a good bit about the salt and nuts with one of my coworkers and how they were intended as a gift, which turned into a tongue in cheek conversation about euphemisms. (Experiment 452- quit snickering. I really mean it this time!) While I may never actually receive the salty delight that I paid for, the amusement of this has been completely worth it, and that is the entire point of my addiction. It amuses me.
Here are 4 projects that currently amuse me and are still accepting backers:
-          Alabaster Vol 1-2 by Osamu Tezuka
-          Air Tight, Stay Fresh, Spice Jars



No comments:

Post a Comment