Search This Blog

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Delilah Dirk and The Turkish Lieutenant

Sometimes I forget that I like things. I lose myself in the hum drum of every day life and forget that I like to do more than just exist. Thankfully I have people in my life that know me better than I know myself.  A week or so ago was Valentine's Day.  Valentine's Day is commercial holiday that is used to sell an idea to the consumer, much like St. Patrick's Day is an excuse to drink beer and talk with a fake Irish accent.  I happen to like the idea behind Valentine's Day, because I see it as a good opportunity to be grateful. My husband looks at is as an excuse to go shopping for things that we both like.

This year my husband picked up a copy of Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant by Tony Cliff for our celebration of appreciation. I don't know how my husband does it, but he manages to find some of the absolute best graphic novels.  This latest acquisition to the comic collection is a great reminder to enjoy the journey and not worry so much about the destination. Not to mention there is always time for a good cup of tea.

I found the Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant to be beautifully drawn and vivid in the colors. The style worked well with the action and dialogue and you get a real feel for who the characters were and what made them tick.  Most importantly, it made me want to continue the journey with Delilah and Selim and see what sort of trouble the inadvertently brew up. I think that it important to feel like you can lose yourself in a story, even just a little bit and Delilah Dirk does that for me.  I definitely recommend this to all those that are interested in a strong female lead character that is not dressed in a provocative manner that challenges preconceived notions that girls can not be globe trotting adventurers, and are more fitted to the roll of side kicks. Delilah is one girl who chooses her own path. This is one of those graphic novels that would be perfect for girls of any age and has enough action and adventure that would make it an interesting read for boys.  I very much look forward to the next installment in this series, encourage you to keep an eye out for Delilah Dirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment