Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Cat Hat or Pot Holder?

It is July.  It is time to start the Christmas shopping.  Call me crazy, but I like to get a head start of the holidays and piecemeal things together at the end.  It doesn't hurt my wallet as much and when it comes time to wrap, I am just as surprised as everyone else as to what I have acquired. 

I am developing a love for Etsy.  I like to support artists, and I love to give unique gifts.  Esty is for the most part a marriage between the two.  (Please remember that art takes very many forms.) 

On Etsy I found something absolutely perfect for one of my nieces.  I don't normally brag about the gifts before I give them, but the attention span of a 10 year old means, I can spill the beans and she will completely forget by the time she gets through the duck tape and ribbon. 

It is hard to impress the Dib.

I am going to turn my niece into a cat.  TheGeekyKnot has a decent number of items that are easily customizable.  I was leaning towards the unicorn hat, but then I realized the kitty ears on the hat was color customizable, I was sold.  My niece has probably seen every single episode of FairyTail, and Happy is one of her favorite characters.  It was my duty as her aunt to turn her into a blue cat.

The proprietor of TheGeekyKnot was prompt and courteous when I messaged her about my request. They even sent me a color sample of the yarn, to make sure it was the color that I wanted. I went with a variegated blue cat hat, since I feel it has more wearability and match ability to other clothing.  TheGeekyKnot had the hat out to me with in a week, which was pretty amazing to me.  

The one thing that I worry about when buying any sort of craft/ art, is if it is as advertised.  When I opened the package and looked at it for the first time, I worried that I had received a hot pad/ pot holder in error.  It looked like a blue square and not at all what I thought it would look like.   I think in my  head I thought it would look like a semi circle with obvious well define triangle points.  With a little bit of trepidation, I put the blue pot holder on my head and hopped for the best. 


It was magic. It went from pot holder to magic cat in a moment. It is a well stitched hat, that is comfortable and has cat ears.  If you customized it in black, it would almost look like Batman ears.  It is one of those cases that, looks can be deceiving and it totally worth the prize.  I think that my niece is going to love it, and now I have to decide if I want to get the lace fingerless gloves for my other niece.  

If you are looking for something uniquely customizable for a friend or family member, I would recommend checking out TheGeekyKnot for some customizable gift ideas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment