Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Scooby Apocalypse

When I was a kid, one of my  I favorite cartoons was Scooby Doo. I distinctly recall waking up and watching a million episodes on Saturday morning and loving every bit of it.  If Scooby Doo or Gilligan's Island were on, I was one happy kid.  I loved the monster of the week feel to it, that always turned out not to be a monster. I found humor in the way that Shaggy and Scooby could out weight their fear in a situation by the rumble of their stomachs and how every bad guy would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddlesome kids.

I am an adult now and I still have a nostalgic love for Scooby Doo.  I loved the episode of Venture Bros that re-imagined  the gang in a much darker light. (Season 2 Episode 11 "Viva Los Muertos!").  I tend to like dark comedy and Venture Bros may be one of my favorite adult cartoons, so that only added to my amusement of that particular episode. It cracked me up to no end, because it shed that feel that nothing bad ever happened in the Mystery Machine and everything always turns out fine in the end.

I know that I am giving a lot of back story, and it is hard to see where I am going, but I felt it was important when I try to explain how excited I was discovering Scooby Apocalypse at my local comic shop.   Despite the huge stack of books and comics that I need to read and finish reading, I had to have Scooby Apocalypse.

I devoured it like Shaggy and his Scooby snacks.  I love the way that the characters were re-imagined. They were fleshed out in a way that was not accomplished in the horrible live action movies and brushed over in the television show.   The comic gives them a rounded character  with history and incorporates in some nostalgic touches, such as well used catch phrases.  (Do you know how weird people at work look at you if you use the word jinkies? Spell check doesn't even like the word, and keeps replacing it with kinkiest.)

I don't want to spoil the comic for anyone, because I think it deserves a spot on the book shelf, but I will say that it does hold true the cartoon in the way that the monsters are people. Of course there is a twist, but that is part of the fun in reading the comic.  I


No comments:

Post a Comment