Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Black Mirror- Batman

Welcome to another review of a Batman graphic novel. This is a quick review of The Black Mirror, by Scott Snyder, Jock and Francesco Francavilla.  I promise that I do read other things other than Batman, but there is a sense of comfort in Batman. I liked this graphic novel.. There is on pattern that a Batman graphic novel does pose, and that is a good mystery.  This is a good mystery on top of it being a good Batman graphic novel.  In the beginning there is a lovely forward that explains to you that Bruce Wayne is not Batman. (Incase you are wondering Dick Grayson is playing the part of Batman and Damian Wayne is playing the part as Robin) I liked knowing that up front. That way I didn't feel betrayed the moments when Batman isn't following the pattern that  Batman should be following. I don't like feeling like I am missing an integral part of this story by not reading Final Crisis for the back story that precedes this story arch.
In this Batman mystery, it fleshes out our favorite police detective, Jim Gordon in a much more human light. When you have a solid incorruptible detective, you almost enjoy finding out about the skeletons in the closet that come out and haunt him from time to time. You get to enjoy the ride of internal struggle as the evidence begins to pile up and identify the villain.  There are few parts that can be considered predictable, but on a whole, that isn't a bad thing.  When I finished the last page, the graphic novel left me with a feeling of deep sadness for Jim Gordon. Any novel, graphic or other wise that leaves you feeling some thing with the last page is a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment