Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Protect the Tomatoes

This has been a terrible year for my tomatoes.  Normally my tomatoes are all over the place. I can barely keep them in the garden. I am up to my elbows in the romas and my kitchen constantly smells like red gravy. (That is tomato sauce.) This year I cut back the number of tomato plants by half, thinking it would be like every other year and I would be giving tomatoes away to people who just happened to stop by, just to get rid of them.  Maybe it is the weather, with the rain being weird. It could be the vermin in that frolic and galavant in my yard, despite the fencing.  It has been a sad year for me for tomatoes. It doesn't really matter what the cause is.  I am not having a very good crop this year and perhaps next year will be a bit better.  At least that is what I am telling myself.


My brother understands my woes.  The deer took out his entire crop of tomatoes. He doesn't have a single plant left standing and there are no tomatoes for him, unless I send him some. It is time to protect the tomatoes.  Out of the kindness of his heart and sympathy for my troubles,  he bought us a tomato protector.  One to go in my garden and one to go in his.
That way if someone is lurking in the garden, they may think twice before helping themselves to my red beauties.  I was a little skeptical at first on if it would work, but so far mine seems to be working.   Nothing has gotten into the garden and the tomatoes that I do have look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment