Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Exploring the Caverns

Cold winter days are meant for exploring caves. Did you know it is a constant 52 degrees in a cave? Which means it is at least 20 degrees warmer in the cave then it is outside of the cave.  My dad came out for an early Christmas visit, and part of the fun of his visits is the amount of adventures and tourist things we get to go do. 
I love caves.   Indian Echo Caverns is local to me, and I decided that it was a necessary father -daughter bonding experience to visit this cave. The caverns are a fun place to visit and the tour is about 45 minutes at a leisurely pace. I enjoyed the caverns.  One of the unique things about this cavern is that it is still living and growing.   You get the pleasure of seeing formations as they are growing and marvel at have shiny they are with the calcite growth.
My dad has never done a cave tour before, so this was unique experience for him. During the walk down the seventy two steps, my dad joked that he was claustrophobic.  Considering I have done mine tours with him, I know this is not case, but I did chuckle at the couple of low hanging passage ways that caused him to duck.  I enjoyed the tour and even spent some quality time with their goats and feisty old turkey. 
If you are ever in the Hershey area, and looking for something to do other than the amusement park, I would recommend the caverns.  There is enough diversity there to keep the whole family entertained and is open all year long.  Then again, I also like caves, so my opinion may be a little bias. 


No comments:

Post a Comment