Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2015

Porcelain

Sometimes it takes me a while to make head way in my to be read pile. It monsooned over the weekend which gave me ample opportunity to curl up with a book and a glass of wine. From deep with in the stacks came Porcelain A Gothic Fairy Tale by Benjamin Read and Chris Wildgoose.

When I think of a gothic fairytale, I think about Jane Eyre and architecture but mostly Jane Eyre. This story reminded of some of my favorite parts of Jane Eyre.  Jane Eyre is a piece Of classic literature that has a lot going on and most of it being examples of good things going bad. I would say the same is true with Porcelain. Porcelain is a beautiful dish that gets cracked and can never get back its original perfection which is what makes  it a perfect gothic fairytale. 

The art is well done and it fits the tone of the story very well. There are layers upon layers that make me want to go back and read it again and examine the pictures to see if there are any other nuances that I may have missed.  I am pleased with this addition to the ever growing graphic novel library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment