Search This Blog

Monday, October 13, 2014

A Taste of Historic Lynchburg

 The one thing about having a cookbook challenge with rules is that your need to follow them rules once you have made them.  The rule that I am talking about at this time, is that any cookbook acquired during the challenge must be utilized.   I don't actively look for cookbooks most of the time, but that does not mean that my collection is not growing. My mother-in-law enjoys traveling and in her travels she came upon A Taste of Historic Lynchburg cookbook.  I now have said cookbook. 


This is a charming cookbook. It is the sort of cookbook that makes you feel like a lot of little old ladies sat around at a bridge game and decided that create a cookbook. There are a variety recipes in the pages, that range between delicious and horrifying. I don't know if I have ever had so much fun reading a cookbook, each recipe unique in its own way.  I sometimes wonder if we can do genealogy through tastebuds, because if so, this book would remind everyone of their grandmother. Especially if their grandmother loved jello. 

If you are ever around Lynchburg, I would recommend picking this cookbook up. While not every recipe is a winner, every recipe has merit.  If you ever get the courage to try some of the more inventive jello salad recipes, such as A Man's Salad (spoiler it is has jello in it) or Cinnamon Applesauce Salad (it also has jello in it, along with cinnamon candies) I suggest that you take a nip of the famous Jack Daniels Whiskey.  It is amazing what is normal when you have a hit or two of whiskey before, after and during making some of these recipes. I, sadly did not have any whiskey while cooking, because I don't think it is wise to mix frying anything and whiskey.  I have burned myself sober making cookie bars.  It was is my goal not to burn or maim myself in the kitchen. 
I had a lot of recipes to choose between. I found that I couldn't pick just one. I picked two. Nothing says southern cooking like fried chicken.  Buttermilk Fried Chicken (page 32) was simple.  The directions were clear and concise. I really appreciate that. Fried chicken is delicious.  Buttermilk Fried Chicken is deliciously delightful and not the slightest bit healthy for you.  I would not recommend this for daily eating, but for an every now and then treat, I will definitely be making this again. 

The other recipe that I tried was Drop Cookies (Page 89). Drop Cookies are no bake chocolate oat cookies. I wanted to follow this recipe to the tee, however I believe there is a typo in the recipe. I have a hard time believing that any cookie would call for 1/2 cup of chopped nutmeg. In my limited experience of baking, nutmeg has always been used sparingly.  For the sake of making these cookies edible, I nixed the nutmeg.  I will try this recipe again in the future, but try it with a 1/2 cup of nuts.  


1 comment:

  1. maybe a 1/2 tsp nutmeg... (that stuff can be strong!) Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete