Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: A Short Reveiw

      I use to read real books all the time. Now, I have excuses as to why I don't read as often as I did. Some of them are really good excuses. "I have to be up early for work." "I am tired."  "I have nothing to read." I took a good look at the lot of excuses I have been feeding myself and decided that I deserve better then the lot of rubbish that I tell myself. It doesn't matter if I have to be up early for work, I can always just read a chapter or two before bed.  I am always going to be tired. That isn't going to change, what does change is what a person does about it. I can be tired and anxious about work, or I can be tired and relaxing with a good book.  I have nothing to read is a whole pile of manure. I have a stack of books on my bed side, and they are awesome books. I know that they are going to be awesome books, because I took the time to research them and get recommends, and have been putting them on Christmas Wish Lists and Birthday Gift Lists for as long as I can remember. I know exactly what type of books they are and I am fairly confident that I will enjoy them.

  Having run out of excuses, I picked a book from the bunch and decided to start reading.  Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was  on the top of the file and figured that it would be an excellent point to start.  The book itself is eye catching. The cover of the book ha a little girl in a crown with a face that often reminds me of my grandmother disapproving at me over something real or imagined. What a person doesn't see unless they really look at it, is that the little girl is levitating. My intrigue was up. Why did I pick this book? The only way to find out was to read it.

Making myself comfortable on the couch, tucking my legs beneath me and squashing a few pillows behind me, I dove into the book, while my husband provided that much needed background noise of video games. (You would be surprised at how unproductive I can be with no background noise, because without the noise, I am my neurotic cat. I jump at every sound I hear.) The first thing that I discovered while getting into the book is that the interesting pictures are not just on the front and back cover, but scattered through out also. The amount of pictures makes the speed of reading a lot quicker while giving the story a body and a face.

I really liked this book.  I was surprised. I don't put a lot of stock in New York Times Best Sellers, because some of it very predictable. You can flip to the end of the book and not be surprised by the ending. I have my faults, and I am human, so I get to a point in almost any book that I read, that I will flip to the back to see how it ends. Reading the last page, did nothing for me.  It did not give me a predictive look as to how everything was going to come to a climax. In fact it really gave me nothing, but a picture of people on a boat.  Reading the last page, didn't really do nothing for me, what it did was make me finish the book. In one day, in one position on the couch, while my husband sat as company, I finished the book.

I want to say that I saw the ending coming, but I didn't. The end of the book was everything and more than I expected. Part of me wanted to laugh at the silliness of me trying to figure out the ending in the middle of the book, and the other part of me want to cry at the complex of emotions that it brought me. Over all I think that it was a wonderful adventure for the mind and for the emotions. If you need a beach read, or perhaps something to get you through a few hours at the airport, I would recommend Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment